Students interested in getting involved on campus, interacting with like-minded peers or making it rain with a sweet monthly paycheck, look no further than the Daily Nexus.

The Nexus is now seeking talented writers, photographers and artists to join its motley crew. Students interested in the job are encouraged to attend a training session on either Sept. 30 or Oct. 14 at 7 p.m. in the Daily Nexus office beneath Storke Tower.

According to Editor in Chief Elliott Rosenfeld, a fourth-year political science major, the Nexus is considered UCSB’s primary news source, although the university has no editorial control over the newspaper.

“It’s an institution that has been in the region for 80 years, trying to ensure freedom of speech on campus,” Rosenfeld said. “That’s really the power of the Nexus — it’s a vessel of public form and expression. I really enjoy being able to be a part of that.”

The Daily Nexus offers a wide range of employment positions, from high-effort, high-reward jobs far up in the editorial hierarchy to flexible staff writer positions with per-article pay.

The paper includes four sections that are printed daily — university news, county news, sports and opinion — which are each operated by a small team of editors. It also features a science section — printed on Tuesdays — and an Artsweek section — printed every Thursday. Additionally, an army of diligent copy editors hold down the grammar front with style and grace.

On the graphics end, the Nexus offers a wide variety of employment options: All shutterbug photographers, imaginative cartoonists and aesthetically gifted layout technicians are invited to apply. The paper is also seeking a team of behind-the-scenes geniuses to manage the Daily Nexus blog — the Nexog — and online articles at dailynexus.com.

According to Nexus Publications Manager Linda Meyer, the paper offers a forum for the exchange of creative, constructive ideas.

“It’s a student publication and the success of the Daily Nexus relies heavily on the student body,” Meyer said. “Different perspectives and opinions are what it takes to make a great paper.”

While that’s all fun and dandy, we know what you’re waiting for — let’s talk money. All writers start out as reporters until they prove they can tow their weight, at which point they may be hired as staff writers, earning $15 an article. Opinion columnists are paid $12 per article and features are worth $20 a pop.

Photographers are paid $9 per published photo, while drawings fetch different prices depending on their size. Copy editors — the only members of the staff who receive an hourly wage — earn $8 an hour, while editors and assistant editors receive monthly stipends based on their specific titles.

Managing editor Lexi Pandell, a fourth-year global studies major, said she enjoys every aspect of her job.

“It’s the best job I could ever hope for,” Pandell said. “It’s really fun and the student staff is great. I really enjoy all the time I’ve spent there.”